Sunday, July 8, 2007

In a sea of Black!

Today....
some fun stories.
I took the bus to the neighbourhood that I am going to move to this week to get a sense of the place, walked around, ended up in the same market that I bought my clothes from: Colobane, its called - random! I've gotten used to being the only non-Black person as I walk around. And I think once you're confident about it, people don't really treat you any differently. Anyways, I was starving, and came across some women selling things that looked like little round dumplings. I had no idea what they were, but decided to try them. They were plain tasting, pretty dense, like a bland pancake rolled up into a thick ball. I saved one and asked Orlando what it was when I got home - he said they were beignettes! ie. donuts! well timbits really, but they sure didn't taste like any timbit i've ever had!
Anyways, on the way back, I was waiting at the bus stop, when a car full of people honked at me and pulled over. The driver said, 'You going to Liberte 5?' which is a neighbourhood here. My neighbourhood is on the way, so I hopped in. I had read about these 'clandos' or communal cabs. They're unmarked and illegal, but about the same cost as a bus, more direct and you dont have to wait!
Then I went to this fair at the church near the house, the annual Kermesse. They have the regular fair games, and in the middle, the main attraction is this game where there are two live bunnies in the middle of this circle of boxes. Each box is numbered. And everyone who buys a ticket picks a number. When the bunnies are set free, they run into one of the boxes. Whoever picked the number the bunny chose, wins! Everyone crowded around to watch this - haha. I'll post a video later.
So i was trying to get a look, and this girl saw me trying and made a spot for me. So we introduced ourselves and within litterally three words, she said, ''From now on you are my best friend.'' haha... She's 18, speaks poor French, mostly Wolof, so communication is pretty difficult. But she came to eat with me, and wants me to play basketball with her on Saturday... Jeanne Marie Pierre Lobo is her name. And then as we said goodbye, sh said in this desperate voice, "You won't forget about me will you?" It made me feel kinda sorry for her...
Anyways, I need to sleep, so bonne nuit tout le monde!

2 comments:

Kamal Shaath said...

Well... your writing style always kept me wondering if the vision I was building was close to reality.... with the addition of these beautiful pictures... wow I am surprised how close I was...
I just love all those colors... I think with my shirts I might just blend in....
Take Care ... and Have FUN...
Miss Ya !!!

Natasha said...

so did you win anything on the bunny races???